Above is a DDP Excel entry form. Why not make Grim’s Christmas by reading the rules below, then downloading a copy, filling it out with your team (or three different copies if you have theme teams) and sending them to email@example.com.
DERBY DEAD POOL 2021 OPEN FOR BUSINESS!!!
As every year people ask what the rules to the DDP are out of season, Here’s a quick reminder of the rules as they stand. Although obviously new teams are only accepted in December!
RULES (as of 1/1/2021)
Send a list of 20 names, and a maximum of three subs, to the DDP email address, along with your team name and an email address you can be contacted at.
Please spell the celebrity names correctly, and if the celebs are a little obscure feel free to provide an explanation of who they are (no need to clarify who Donald Trump is, for instance, but if you’re picking a poet from Guam you should probably include a note).
Also, remember that some celebrities have shared names, so PLEASE indicate which one you’re plumping for (Patrick Duffy the Dallas hunk or Patrick Duffy the Labour politician of the 70s and 80s, for instance).
The joker, which scores double points, will be the first name on your list and be accepted by the host as such. Please make sure your joker is top of the list.
Should one or more of your picks croak it before midnight December 31, 2020, then a substitute will replace him/her. Should the premature death be a joker, you will be contacted asking for a replacement joker from your existing list.
Once you have sent your list, the hosts will not accept any wholesale changes.
If your celebs die before the end of the year but their death is only confirmed after teams are uploaded to the site (early/mid-January), then no replacements can be made and they will score zero points.
You will receive a confirmation email when your team is received by the host. Over the Xmas period do not expect this immediately, as unsurprisingly the last week of the year can get a little hectic for your gamerunners.
You will be contacted by the host for any queries regarding the names of the picks and what they do, if they are among the more obscure picks. If you are entering again, but with a different team name, let the host know what your previous team name was.
PLEASE INDICATE IF YOU ARE ENTERING A THEME TEAM. There must be a theme to the team ie it cannot just be a list of twenty men, or a scavenged list of survivors from the previous year.
There is a maximum number of 3 teams per individual (can be any combination of normal and theme teams) although there are some cases that certain emails will contain many teams as part of a “syndicate” of different teams.
RULES & OBIT QUALIFICATION:
All entrants must supply a team name and a valid email address. We will never reveal your email address to anyone else. GDPR baby.!
All of your chosen celebs must be:
- Human. No famous animals please.
- At least 18 years old as at 1st January 2021.
- Actual real-life people, not characters out of soap operas and the like.
- Named individuals, not just “Pope Wotsisface” or “the oldest person in the world”.
- Players must not murder their chosen celebs. That’s cheating, and cheating is wrong and is not in the spirit of the game.
- “Sensitive” picks (normally terminally-ill people who “inspire” significant coverage in the news) are included in the competition for now, but their identities may be masked to avoid possible backlash.
- EXCLUSIONS: Prisoners on “Death Row” i.e. awaiting state execution can only score points if they die of other causes. Picks that are on trial or are put on trial and are found guilty and executed are not
disqualified but will not claim the unnatural points bonus. Hostages of terrorist organisations. We have no absolute knowledge of whether they are alive, dead or when they supposedly died. Terrorist organisation members are included but there must be official verification of when they died from both sides of the conflict (i.e. “The West” and the terrorists themselves). Any person considered “missing in action” or not traced as of 01/01/2021 can only score points if their death is confirmed as happening in 2021 and not before, so don’t bother picking Jimmy Hoffa.
- AS OF 1/1/2021, PICKS VIEWED TO BE FAMOUS ONLY BECAUSE THEY ARE GOING TO DIE (WITH NO OTHER FAME LIKE FUNDRAISING, WRITING, ETC) ARE BANNED. This obviously means non-notables, so please do not write in asking if you are allowed to pick former Education secretaries, obscure (but credited) Tongan historians and silver medalists from the 1952 Olympic Games or anyone else who is obviously OK.
- OBITUARY QUALIFICATION:To win points, there must be the mention of a celebrity’s death on a national online news source:
bbc.co.uk/news (and all subsections, including the previously banned local news pages)
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qpmv (Last Word, the death must be written down)
- And from the UK versions of the following:
- This includes the Sunday and Scottish editions of all of the above ie The Scottish Sun, Mail on Sunday, etc.
(As of 1/1/2018, the death announcements section of broadsheet websites, which members of the general public can pay for listings, are excluded)
- itv.com/news * (this includes local news pages, and STV/UTV)
uk.news.yahoo.com (must be a UK link)
www.pressreader.com/uk if it can be used to prove the existence of a print obituary in any of the sources mentioned above.
ANOTHER CHANGE FOR 2021 WILL SEE UNIQUE PICKS WORTH FOUR POINTS INSTEAD OF THE PREVIOUS THREE.
Grim Up North,
P.S. For those of you unaware, a hive of Derby Dead Pool chat can be found on the Death List forums, https://forums.deathlist.net/